2008-08-24

Reentry

I've been back home for 2 weeks now. Reentry was hard and fast...

I started attending a Wednesday night class in Dialectal Behavior Therapy [DBT] to improve my own emotional wellness.

I went to Chicago to give a couple of presentations at the Midwestern Regional Integrity Conference. I spoke about what happened at Lambeth and what's next for the Episcopal Church. About 20 people attended.



Michael and I have decide to adopt a greyhound thru Greyhound Adoption of Greater Rochester. Last Sunday we had a home visit by two greyhounds and their human companions to make sure we were suitable parents. We passed the test. Next Saturday we picked up "Odd Festus"--who has just retired from racing in Florida. We haven't see his photo yet, but here's the description: "Festus is not odd at all. He is an 82 lb. fawn male who is 4 years old. He is friendly, calm, and is cat friendly." Transition could be challenging for him and us, since racing dogs know nothing about living in houses with humans.

For Integrity, I finished writing objectives for a $50,000 grant from the Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund.

I took off Thursday and Friday to spend time with our 8-year old nephew, Marcus. The first day we went to the Seabreeze Amusement Park. Marcus had to be coaxed onto some of the scarier rides. Uncle John could not be coaxed onto rides likely to cause motion sickness!


The second day we visited the recently expanded Strong National Museum of Play. The highlight for me was the new butterfly garden.

Yesterday afternoon we took a long bike ride along the Erie Canal from Pittsford to Fairport.